Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Friday 9/12/08


Went to town to get the flat fixed. Talked to Johnny about getting me a new tire. There was an old man in overalls getting a new tire, who professed to "having too much time on his hands and spending it watching tv." He was railing about Lehman's going broke, and how everyone just spent too much money. Said one day there would be one "world government." We talked about the federal deficit for a while. Politics a tad, but he knew where to draw the conversation line in unknown company. Actually enjoyed talking to him. Guess I'm lonely for company . . ..

Had a short stack at Grandmas. Great place for breakfast, can't believe I didn't get biscuits and gravy.

Went to the County Judge's office to see if I needed any permits to build a house in Witter. They sent me to the Health Department. Before then I stopped by Madison County Telephone to see about getting a phone in the barn while we're building the house. Woman asked for my address, and of course I didn't know it. That threw her for a loop. "Well, if you want us to get you a phone, I've got to have an address." After explaining the situation, she told me that I had to have my address approved by the 911 Assignor.

So I went to the Health Department. It's over by Butterball, next to the LIBRARY. Huntsville's got a library? Can't wait. Benny is the Health Department guy. He bird hunts. Told him I liked to bird hunt, but didn't have a bird dog and it's hard to hunt birds without one, isn't it. He suggested I go to the "bird reserve" up the road beyond Governor's Hill (Named after Governor Faubus, who, in 1957, gained national attention when he called out the Arkansas National Guard to prevent the integration of Central High School in Little Rock.)

Anyway, Bennie gave me the paperwork to complete to exempt me from the need for a septic tank permit. Everything in the system must be at least 200 feet from the road and any property lines. Got to complete the form, have it notarized, and send it back to him.

Went next door to the LIBRARY. Its' the size of a small house, but it's got wireless internet. Very cool. Asked the nice lady what I needed to do to get a library card. Arkansas Divers license. Don't have one. Piece of mail with your name and Arkansas address on it. Don't have one as I don't get mail in Witter. Threw her for a loop. What about a copy of your electric bill from the Coop? It's mailed to my address in Kansas. Hmmm. What about a copy of something from the 911 Assignor showing your address? I haven't seen her yet. She seems to hold the key.

So off I go to see the 911 Assignor. She was out, but her assistant was there. She told me that I would get assigned a new address for the house, if it's going to have a different driveway. The barn will continue to have have it's own address. I need to hang up a sign with "Ramsey" painted on it, and call the office. They will drive out within a week, and assign us an address for the new house. Dandy. Then I can get a phone, and a library card. Whoopee.

Spent 6 hours digging on the house hole. Mostly digging rocks and cleaning up in the deepest part. I'm about 4 ft down there. Had another flat. Same damn left front tire. And 80% chance of rain tomorrow, so I packed up, took my tire to Johnny and told him to order a new one, and headed for home.

1 comment:

Texas Art Diva said...

Dale!!!! Buy TWO tires the next time you're in town. I am enjoying the blog and can appreciate the hodge podge of bureacrity that you are having to go through. but just keep on digging!! - how deep are you going to go??

About Me

My photo
Witter, AR, United States
We are building a timber frame home in a small rural community in Northwest Arkansas. We created this Blog so our family and friends could follow our progress.